International Labour Day or May Day:- May Day is a public holiday usually celebrated on May 1st. It is an ancient northern hemisphere spring festival and a traditional spring holiday in many cultures. International Workers’ Day may also be referred to as “May Day”, but it is a different celebration from the traditional May Day.
It has also been declared as the national holiday in almost 80 countries of the world whereas it is being celebrated as an unofficial event in most of the countries.
It the US and Canada, it is (Labour Day) celebrated on 1st Monday of the September month as an annual holiday for celebrating the great achievements of the workers working in various fields.
International Labour Day or May Day 2020
International Labour Day 2020 will be celebrated by the people (socialists and labor unions) all over the world on the 1st of May, on Friday.
History of International Labour Day or May Day 2020
International Workers’ Day is the big celebration on the world level and it is celebrated to commemorate the 4thof May of 1886, the Haymarket affair (Haymarket Massacre) in the Chicago.
It is the big event of that year when workers were on the general strike for their eight-hour workday and police were doing their job of dispersing the general public from the crowd.
Suddenly, a bomb was thrown over the crowd by an unidentified person and then the police started firing over the workers and four demonstrators were killed.
Here is a real statement about the event: “Reliable witnesses testified that all the pistol flashes came from the centre of the street, where the police were standing, and none from the crowd. Moreover, initial newspaper reports made no mention of firing by civilians. A telegraph pole at the scene was filled with bullet holes, all coming from the direction of the police.”
It was decided to be celebrated on annual basis as a May Day in the meeting (in 1889) of Paris through a proposal by the Raymond Lavigne that international demonstrations are required to celebrate the anniversary of Chicago protests. In the year 1891, May Day was officially recognized by the International’s second congress to be celebrated as an annual event.
However, May Day Riots has occurred in the year 1894 and then in the year 1904, the following statement was given at the International Socialist Conference at Amsterdam “all Social Democratic Party organizations and trade unions of all countries to demonstrate energetically on May First for the legal establishment of the 8-hour day, for the class demands of the proletariat, and for universal peace.” and declared it “mandatory upon the proletarian organizations of all countries to stop work on May 1, wherever it is possible without injury to the workers.”
Why be Celebrate International Labour Day or May Day?
International Labour Day or May Day is celebrated to finish the struggle as well as to promote the requirement of the eight-hour workday. Earlier the working condition of the laborer was very severe and working hours were 10 to 16 hour a day even in the unsafe conditions.
Deaths, injuries and other dreadful conditions of the workers were very common at the workplace during the 1860s and working people were very agitated throughout the workday until the 8-hour workday was declared.
The rising death of the working class people (men, women, and children) in many working industries, required to raise the voice for the safety of the working group people by decreasing their working hours in the industries.
After the lots of efforts made by the workers and socialists, eight-hours was declared as the legal time for the workers in the national convention at Chicago in 1884 by the American Federation of Labor.
Many people have sacrificed their lives during the Haymarket Massacre which was held in Chicago during the strike of workers.
May Day is celebrated to commemorate the event of the Haymarket Massacre as well as to promote the social and economic achievements of the working group people.
How to Celebrate International Labour Day or May Day?
International Labor Day is celebrated yearly as an official holiday all over the world to celebrate the accomplishments of workers.
People enjoy celebrating May Day or Labour Day by arranging a big party and lots of programmes. They decorate the banners and flags using colours just like an Independence Day celebration.
Variety of news and messages are distributed by the TV channels and radio channels saying Happy Labor Day among people to increase social awareness about the Labour Day.
Variety of other events is also organized by the International Labour Organization to celebrate the day. The theme of the Labour Day party celebration becomes any cartoon characters, western culture shows, sports, TV shows, movies, holiday activities, crazy fun activities and many more. Other Labor Day activities include a crossword puzzle, anagram puzzle, word search puzzle, code-cracker puzzle, word scramble puzzle, phrase matching game puzzle and etc.
This celebration has become a historic significance all over the world and celebrated by the Labor unions worldwide. Variety of demonstrations, speeches, protests processions, rallies, and parades are organized by the working group people under the security arrangements to protect violence.
Top 10 Quick Facts about International Labour Day
- Labor Day Began in Chicago as a protest campaign in support of the eight-hour workday.
- On May 1st, 1886, workers took to the streets across the USA to reduce the workday to eight-hour shifts.
- OREGON was the first US State which celebrated Labor Day as a legal holiday in 1887.
- In 1916 the eight hour day was firmly established.
- Labor Day has been a day for parades, rallies, and other celebrations or Workers class.
- Hundreds of countries around the world have recognized International Worker’s Day however only about 80 countries celebrate the day as National Holiday.
- International Labor Organization deal with Labor issues on an international level.
- Unions and other labor groups plan to use the Holiday to fight for workers’ rights.
- In the USA and Canada, the Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday of September.
- By 2030 the Total Work Force of the world is predicted to increase to slightly more than 4 Billion.
The Theme of International Labour Day or May Day
Every year the International Worker’s Day is celebrated under a specific theme. Few of the past years declared themes are as follow:
- The theme of International Labour Day of 2019 was “Uniting Workers for Social and Economic Advancement.”
- The theme of International Labour Day of 2017 was “Preserve Our National Heritage.”
- The theme of International Labour Day of 2016 was “Celebrating the international labor movement”.
- The theme of International Labour Day of 2015 was “Construct the Future of Cameroon in Peace, Solidarity and Decent Work”.
- The theme of International Labour Day of 2014 was “Providing the Job with helping of the Capital by giving value the work”.
- The theme of International Labour Day of 2013 was “Let’s value work by providing the jobless with start-up capital support”.
- The theme of International Labour Day of 2012 was “Promote Employment by Supporting Prospective Entrepreneurs”.
You May Also See:-