International Nurses Day 2021:- The celebration of International Nurses Day will be observed all over India on 12 May 2021.
International Nurses Day is celebrated on May 12th. It is celebrated in honor of Florence Nightingale’s birthday and also thanks the nurses for their tireless efforts and contributions.
Nurses are essential to public health. Let’s review this article on International Nurses Day, its theme, its history and how this day is celebrated.
Nurses play a vital role in our medical facilities, such as providing security or helping patients recover. Without a doubt, when a patient needs care, nurses work tirelessly to identify and protect their needs.
Nurses also have tremendous knowledge and skills that they use in an organization to develop and develop. Generally, nurses work in challenging environments where extreme stress is part of their job.
History of the International Nurses Day 2021
In 1953, Dorothy Sutherland, an official with the Ministry of Health, Education and Social Affairs, approached President Dwight D. Eisenhower and suggested that she celebrate Nurses Day.
At this point, he did not agree with his proposal. It was celebrated for the first time in 1965 by the International Council of Nurses (ICN). In January 1974, May 12th was declared International Nurses Day.
Thus was born Florence Nightingale, founder of the modern nursing profession? Every year that day, ICN compiles and distributes the International Nurses Day Kit, which includes educational materials and information materials for the public and can be used by nurses in public.
Let’s say that National Nurses Day will be celebrated on May 8th since 1998 and National Nurses Week May 6th to May 12th since 2003.
How is International Nurses Day celebrated?
International Nurses Day is celebrated each year with a candle lamp service in London’s Westminster Abbey. Suppose a candle lamp goes from one nurse to another.
This means that knowledge is passed from one nurse to another to place it on the high altar. The day after her birthday, Florence Nightingale’s grave in St. Margaret’s Church is hosting a grand ceremony.
In the United States and Canada, a whole week is celebrated today as National Nursing Week. Also in Australia, various breastfeeding ceremonies are organized.
All week, health services are focused on the international level. Even the American Nurses Association supports and encourages the celebration and work of nurses.
Various activities are also organized, such as seminars, various community events, debates, competitions, discussions, etc. In addition, nurses are honoured and appreciated by their friends, doctors, administrators and patients by giving gifts, distributing flowers, organizing dinners, etc.
International Day of Nurses: Significance
Around the world, we must not forget that nursing is the largest health profession in the world and the key to achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). Nurses have access to various training modules to maintain the health and well-being of their patients.
Without a doubt, nurses have a solid knowledge to provide the best health services. Do you know that National Nursing Associations (NNAs) play an important role in training nurses by being well informed and advised to do their job well? In addition, NNA works with governmental and non-governmental organizations to strengthen health systems.
Why is Nurses Day important?
Serving humanity is one of the great professions. Nurses do it, I’m not going to dwell too much on the profession, but for humanity, they play an important role in society.
The celebration of International Health Day reinforces public awareness of improving the profession of health care and nursing. As the backbone of the health system, people around the world are recognized for National Nurses Day.
What is the International Council of Nurses (ICN)?
It is an organization that runs nurses and runs nursing internationally. They ensure quality care for all and sound health policy around the world. Each year ICN chooses a theme to celebrate the International Day of Nurses.
The 2017-2019 “Nurses: One Voice for Leadership” campaign focuses on the need for nurses to become more active and active in policy development and implementation.
The resources and evidence deal with critical issues of the time and illustrate the multiple effects of nurses.
So, we can say that the International Day of Nurses is celebrated around the world to raise awareness of the nursing profession and nurses’ contribution to health care.
International Nurses Day Themes 2021
- The theme of the year 2000 was “Nurses – Always there for you”.
- The theme for the year 2001 was “Nurses, always here for you: Together against Violence”.
- The theme of the year 2002 was “Nurses always there for you: caring for the family”.
- The theme for 2003 was “Nurses: Fighting the Stigma of AIDS, Working for all”.
- The theme for 2004 was “Nurses: Working with the Poor: Against Poverty”.
- The 2005 theme was “Nurses for Patient Safety: Combating Counterfeit Medicines and substandard Drugs”.
- The 2006 theme was “Safe staff saves lives”.
- The 2007 theme was “Positive Practice Environments: Quality Jobs = Quality Patient Care”.
- The theme for 2008 was “Creating Quality Communities and Serving Nurses: Nurses Lead Primary Health Care”.
- The 2009 theme was “Providing Quality to the Community: Innovation for Nurses”.
- The 2010 theme was “Creating Quality Communities and Serving Nurses: Managing Chronic Care”.
- The 2011 theme was “Bridging the gap: increasing access and equity”.
- The 2012 theme was “Bridging the gap: from proof to action”.
- The 2013 theme was “Bridging the Gaps: Millennium Development Goals”.
- The 2014 theme was “Nurses: A Force for Change – A Vital Resource for Health”.
- The 2015 theme was “Nurses: A Force for Change: Caring for People Effectively and Profitably”.
- The 2016 theme was “Nurses: A driver for change: improving the resilience of health systems”.
- The theme for 2017 was “Nursing: A Voice to Lead – Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals”.
- The theme for 2018 is “Nurses: Inspire, Innovate, Influence”.
- The theme for International Nurses Day 2019 was “Nurses – A Voice to Lead – Health for All”.
|May Social Events||Date of Celebration|
|International Labour Day||1st May|
|World Press Freedom Day||3rd May|
|International Midwives Day||5th May|
|World Asthma Day||5th May|
|World Thalassemia Day||8th May|
|World Red Cross Day||8th May|
|National Technology Day||11th May|
|Mother’s Day||10th May|
|International Nurses Day||12th May|
|International Day of Families||15th May|
|World Hypertension Day||17th May|
|World No Tobacco Day||31st May|