World meteorological day is celebrated all across the world by the member states’ meteorological organizations every year on the 23rd of March.
The World Meteorological Organization celebrates its 73rd anniversary in 2023.
It is an annual event commemorated yearly by the almost 191 meteorological organization members worldwide as well as the worldwide meteorological communities using a particular chosen theme of the year in order to commemorate the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization to keep a constant watch on the weather and climate for the better life and future.
WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY 2023
World Meteorological Day 2023 will be celebrated all over the world on the 23rd of March, on Thursday.
HISTORY OF WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY
World meteorological day was founded by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) which is an intergovernmental organization established for meteorology and has approximately the membership of 191 worldwide Member States as well as Territories.
It was first founded and originated from the “International Meteorological Organization” which was established by the International Meteorological Congress in Vienna, Austria in the year 1873.
Whereas, World Meteorological Organization was first established on the 23rd of March in the year 1950 and had become the specialized meteorology agency of the United Nations to operate the weather and climate from one place as well as perform the operational hydrology including all the related geophysical sciences.
The headquarters of the World Meteorological Organization is in Geneva, Switzerland which is a member of the Development Group, United Nations.
Meteorology has been the responsibility of the World Meteorological Organization since 1951, tasked with keeping updated details about the Earth’s atmosphere, the interaction of the atmosphere with the ocean, and the distribution of water resources.
According to the statistics of 2013, this organization includes around 191 member states and territories membership, the conference of which was held on the 11th of October in 1947 and approved in the year 1950.
In the presence of every WMO member country, the World Meteorological Congress determines the policies of the World Meteorological Organization after every four years.
The hierarchy of the system is; Permanent Representative becomes a director of the National Meteorological or Hydrometeorological Service, Executive Council applies the policies by Congress decisions, 6 regional associations in order to address the regional concerns, 8 technical commissions order to handle technical recommendations, Secretary-General in order to lead the secretariat and manage the WMO activities with the help of regular staffs.
WHY WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY IS CELEBRATED?
Its aim is to establish a large network of meteorological stations to contribute to the safety and efficiency of shipping services, as well as human safety and welfare.It also offers a very significant role in water resources safety, food security, and transport.
For meteorology and operational hydrology research to continue to grow and develop, international cooperation is essential, as weather, climate, and the water cycle are all natural resources which do not respect national or international boundaries. WMO is an international organization for meteorology offering the best support for such international cooperation.
For its great achievements in man-made climate change, the WMO and UNEP have established an Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to work directly with Global Atmosphere Watch.
In order to provide people worldwide with safety against natural disasters as well as human-induced disasters (like forest fires, chemical or nuclear accidents, volcanic ash, etc.), WMO conducts research and training activities in the fields of hydrology, meteorology, climatology, and geophysics. Its leading role in making an international effort to closely monitor and protect environmental disasters through its various launched programs is really amazing.
HOW WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY IS CELEBRATED
A variety of programs and activities are held every year to commemorate World Meteorological Day. The World Meteorological Organization organizes a Scientific and Technical Forum, to discuss an outline of all the past activities and achievements of the World Weather Watch (telecommunications and meteorological forecasts) as well as to implement its evolutions in the next century, in the Geneva headquarters on 23rd of March to commemorate the World Meteorological Day.
A variety of events organized for the celebration of world meteorological day includes conferences, a range of exhibitions for professionals of meteorology, symposium, debates on related topics, and many more. Community leaders and the general public also involves in the celebration.
An award ceremony is organized to distribute the prizes (The International Meteorological Organization Prize, The Norbert Gerbier-Mumm International Award, Professor Dr. Vilho Vaisala Award, WMO Research Award for Young Scientists and etc) for special achievements related to meteorological research.
You May Also Like World Meteorological Day Quotes
WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY THEMES
1. The theme of the WMO celebration 2004 was “Weather, climate, water in the information age”.
2. The theme of the WMO celebration 2005 was “Weather, climate, water and sustainable development”.
3. The theme of the WMO celebration 2006 was “Preventing and mitigating natural disasters”.
4. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2007 was “Polar meteorology: Understanding global impacts”.
5. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2008 was “Observing our planet for a better future”.
6. The theme of the WMO celebration 2009 was “Weather, climate and the air we breathe”.
7. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2010 was “60 years of service for your safety and well-being”.
8. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2011 was “Climate for You”.
9. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2012 was “Powering our Future with Weather, Climate, and Water”.
10. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2013 was “Watching the weather to protect life and property”.
11. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2014 was “Weather and Climate: Engaging Youth”.
12. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2015 was “Climate Knowledge for Climate Action”.
13. The theme of the WMO celebration 2016 was “Hotter, drier, wetter. Face the Future”.
14. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2017 is “Understanding Clouds”.
15. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2018 is “Weather-ready, climate-smart”.
16. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2019 is “The Sun, the Earth and the weather”.
17. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2020 is “Climate and Water”.
18. The theme of the WMO celebration of2021 is “The Ocean, our Climate and Weather”
19. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2022 is “Early Warning and Early Action.”
|March Social Events||Date of Celebration|
|National Safety Day||4th March|
|International Women’s Day||8th March|
|Dandi March Day||12th March|
|World Kidney Day||11th March|
|Ordnance Factories Day||18th March|
|International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination||21st March|
|World Forestry Day||21st March|
|World Water Day||22nd March|
|Martyrs Day||23rd March and 30th January|
|World Meteorological Day||23rd March|
|World TB Day||24th March|