World meteorological day is celebrated all across the world by the member states meteorological organizations every year on 23rd of March.
The World Meteorological Organization celebrates its 72st anniversary in 2022.
It is an annual event being commemorated yearly by the almost 191 meteorological organization members worldwide as well as the worldwide meteorological communities using a particular chosen theme of the year in order to commemorate the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization to keep a constant watch on the weather and climate for the better life and future.
WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY 2022
World Meteorological Day 2022 will be celebrated all over the world on the 23rd of March, on Wednesday.
HISTORY OF WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY
The World meteorological day was founded by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) which is an intergovernmental organization established for meteorology and having approximately the membership of 191 worldwide Member States as well as Territories.
It was first founded and originated from the “International Meteorological Organization” which was established by the International Meteorological Congress at Vienna, Austria in the year 1873.
Whereas, World Meteorological Organization was first established on 23rd of March in the year 1950 and had become the specialized meteorology agency of the United Nations to operate the weather and climate from one place as well as performing the operational hydrology including all the related geophysical sciences.
The headquarters of the World Meteorological Organization is in Geneva, Switzerland which is a member of the Development Group, United Nations.
The World Meteorological Organization has been established as a specialized agency in 1951 for meteorology to keep current details about the Earth’s atmosphere behaviour, atmospheric interactions with the oceans, resulting in climate and distribution of the water resources.
According to the statistics of 2013, this organization includes around 191 member states and territories membership, the conference of which was held on 11th of October in 1947 and approved in the year 1950.
The policies of the World Meteorological Organization are determined by the World Meteorological Congress in the meeting after every four years in the presence of every member country of WMO.
The hierarchy of the system is; Permanent Representative becomes a director at National Meteorological or Hydrometeorological Service, Executive Council to apply the policies by Congress decisions, 6 regional associations in order to address the regional concerns, 8 technical commissions in order to handle technical recommendations, Secretary-General in order to lead the secretariat and manage the WMO activities with the help of regular staffs.
WHY WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY IS CELEBRATED
The organization was established aiming to establish a big meteorological station network contributing towards the safety and efficiency of the shipping services as well as the safety and welfare of the people. It also offers a very significant role in the water resources safety, food security, and transport.
World-Level international cooperation is required for the continuous growth and development of the meteorology and operational hydrology research activities, as an environment, weather, climate and water cycle are very natural resources which never consider any national or international boundaries. WMO is an international organization for the meteorology offering the best support for such international cooperation.
An Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has been established by the WMO and United Nations Environment Programme to directly work for Global Atmosphere Watch. It has been awarded by the Nobel Peace Prize in the year 2007 for their big achievements for the man-made climate change.
WMO involved in the research and training activities in the field of hydrological, meteorological, climatological and geophysical to offer safety to the people worldwide from the natural disasters as well as the human-induced disasters (like a forest fire, chemical or nuclear accidents, volcanic ash and etc). Its leading role in making an international effort for closely monitoring and protecting environmental disasters through its various launched programs is really amazing.
HOW WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY IS CELEBRATED
World Meteorological Day is celebrated every year by organizing a variety of programmes and activities. The World Meteorological Organization organizes Scientific and Technical Forum, to discuss an outline of all the past activities and achievements of the World Weather Watch (telecommunications and meteorological forecasts) as well as to implement its evolutions in the next century, in the Geneva headquarters on 23rd of March to commemorate the World Meteorological Day.
Variety of events organized for the celebration of world meteorological day includes conferences, a range of exhibitions for professionals of meteorology, symposium, debates on related topics and many more. Community leaders and the general public also involves in the celebration.
An award ceremony is organized to distribute the prizes (The International Meteorological Organization Prize, The Norbert Gerbier-Mumm International Award, Professor Dr. Vilho Vaisala Award, WMO Research Award for Young Scientists and etc) for special achievements related to the meteorological research.
You May Also Like World Meteorological Day Quotes
WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY THEMES
1. The theme of the WMO celebration 2001 was “Volunteers for weather, climate, and water”.
2. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2002 was “Reducing Vulnerability to Weather and Climate Extremes”.
3. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2003 was “Our future climate”.
4. The theme of the WMO celebration 2004 was “Weather, climate, water in the information age”.
5. The theme of the WMO celebration 2005 was “Weather, climate, water and sustainable development”.
6. The theme of the WMO celebration 2006 was “Preventing and mitigating natural disasters”.
7. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2007 was “Polar meteorology: Understanding global impacts”.
8. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2008 was “Observing our planet for a better future”.
9. The theme of the WMO celebration 2009 was “Weather, climate and the air we breathe”.
10. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2010 was “60 years of service for your safety and well-being”.
11. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2011 was “Climate for You”.
12. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2012 was “Powering our Future with Weather, Climate, and Water”.
13. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2013 was “Watching the weather to protect life and property”.
14. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2014 was “Weather and Climate: Engaging Youth”.
15. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2015 was “Climate Knowledge for Climate Action”.
16. The theme of the WMO celebration 2016 was “Hotter, drier, wetter. Face the Future”.
18. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2017 is “Understanding Clouds”.
19. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2018 is “Weather-ready, climate-smart”.
20. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2019 is “The Sun, the Earth and the weather”.
21. The theme of the WMO celebration of 2020 is “Climate and Water”.
22. The theme of the World Meteorological Day celebration of 2021 is “The Ocean, our Climate and Weather”
|March Social Events||Date of Celebration|
|National Safety Day||4th March|
|International Women’s Day||8th March|
|Dandi March Day||12th March|
|World Kidney Day||11th March|
|Ordnance Factories Day||18th March|
|International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination||21st March|
|World Forestry Day||21st March|
|World Water Day||22nd March|
|Martyrs Day||23rd March and 30th January|
|World Meteorological Day||23rd March|
|World TB Day||24th March|