World Blood Donor Day is celebrated worldwide on June 14th every year, to raise awareness of the need for regular blood donation to save lives and provide affordable access to healthcare for individuals and communities.
World Blood Donor Day will be celebrated on June 14th for the birthday of Karl Landsteiner. It was first celebrated in 2004 to raise awareness of the need for regular blood donations and the need to save lives.
On this day donate blood donors to save lives, whether they are victims of an accident or people who need a blood transfusion for surgery.
History of the World Blood Donor Day
Every year on the occasion of the birth of Karl Landsteiner on June 14, 1868, World Blood Donor Day is celebrated. This event was first launched and organized by the “World Health Organization, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies” on June 14, 2004; to raise public awareness of the disease must donate blood on a voluntary and unpaid basis by the person in good health.
In May 2005, WHO, with its 192 member states, formally established World Blood Donor Day at the 58th World Health Assembly to motivate all countries around the world to thank blood donors for the precious step they took to save people’s lives.
The objective of celebrating World Blood Donor Day
– Providing a global platform to thank people who donate blood and to encourage those who have not.
– To make the public aware that blood donations benefit society as a whole.
– Promote and support effective national blood donation programs, as well as the elimination of family dependency/compensation and paid blood donation.
– Encourage the adoption of the Club 25 approach in various countries to promote a commitment to regular and voluntary blood donation of young people at low risk of transmission of blood infection.
– Ensure and promote international cooperation based on the principles of voluntary unpaid donation around the world while increasing the safety and availability of blood.
– To maintain adequate blood supply throughout the year for all patients requiring transfusion.
– Encourage people to donate blood regularly and without pay.
– Promote low-risk behavior so that people can protect their health and donate blood safely.
Why is World Blood Donor Day celebrated?
World Blood Donor Day is celebrated to meet the need for blood transfusions and transfusions of blood products to the right person around the world. Each year, this campaign saves more than a million lives and gives the recipient of blood a natural smile.
Blood transfusions help patients with various life-threatening illnesses and encourage them to live longer and of better quality. It solves many complex medical and surgical procedures around the world. This campaign plays an important role in caring for women before and after pregnancy.
France organized the celebration of World Blood Donor Day 2013 “Through its National Blood Service, the French Blood Donation Center (EFS)”. France has been involved in the promotion of voluntary and unpaid blood donations since the 1950s.
Places with inadequate blood supply are facing many life-threatening challenges if they are preparing enough blood for the appropriate donation. Sufficient blood and its products can only be satisfied through regular and safe donations from motivated, voluntary and unpaid blood donors.
How is the WBDD celebrated?
World Blood Donor Day is celebrated each year to raise awareness of the need for safe blood transfusion and the importance of donating blood around the world. The celebration consists of the organization of many activities and programs at the international and national levels.
Health organizations such as the World Health Organization, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), the International Federation of Blood Donor Organizations (IFDO) and the International Federation of The International Society for Blood Transfusion (ISBT) are jointly organizing international meetings People around the world.
The theme of the World Blood Donor Day
- The theme of World Blood Donor Day 2019 is “Safe blood saves lives“.
- The theme of 2018 was “Blood connects us all”.
- The theme of 2017 was “donate blood”. Give it now. Give often.
- The theme of 2016 was “Blood connects us all”.
- The theme of 2015 was “Thank you for saving my life”.
- The theme of 2014 was “Safe Blood to Save Mothers”.
- The theme of 2013 was “Give the Gift of Life: Giving Blood”.
- The theme of 2012 was “Every blood donor is a hero”.
- The theme of 2011 was “more blood, more life”.
- The theme of 2010 was “A New Blood for the World”.
- The theme of 2009 was “100% unpaid blood and blood component donations”.
- The theme for 2008 was “giving blood regularly”.
- The theme of 2007 was “Safe Blood for Safe Motherhood”.
- The theme of 2006 was “Commitment to universal access to safe blood”.
- The theme of 2005 was “Celebrate Your Blood Donation”.
- The theme of 2004 was “Blood saves lives”. Healthy blood starts with me. “
|June Social Events
|Date of Celebration
|World Milk Day
|World Environment Day
|World Ocean Day
|World Blood Donor Day
|World Sickle Cell Day
|World Refugee Day
|International Day of Yoga