World Ozone Day 2019:- World Ozone Day is celebrated every year on September 16th. In 1994, the United Nations General Assembly decided to proclaim September 16 as World Oceans Day. Since 1995, it is celebrated every year on September 16th. The United Nations International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer is a global event.
World Ozone Day highlights the importance of the ozone layer and its role in the environment. On this day, elementary and secondary school teachers from around the world hold educational activities focusing on themes related to the ozone layer, climate change, and ozone depletion. Reward also those who have worked hard to protect the Earth’s ozone layer.
World Ozone Day 2019
The celebration of World Ozone Day will be observed all over India on 16th September 2019.
What are ozone and the ozone layer?
Ozone is a chemical, a bluish gas, one molecule of which contains three oxygen atoms. The normal oxygen molecule has only two oxygen atoms. Oxygen is naturally produced by the action of the sun’s ultraviolet rays, which fall on atmospheric oxygen. It is also shaped by lightning. Almost all atmospheric ozone is concentrated in a thin layer around the earth, at an altitude of about 24 to 30 kilometers from the ground. It’s the ozone layer.
What does World Ozone Day mean?
This special day will be held on September 16th and will mark the day of the signing of the Montreal Protocol in 1987. This is why a number of special events, such as conferences and seminars, are taking place in Montreal, Canada.
World Ozone Day has been celebrated since 1994 and was created by the United Nations General Assembly. The purpose of the day is primarily to raise public awareness of the depletion of the ozone layer and seek solutions to preserve it. People from all over the world are expected in Montreal on September 16th to attend the conferences and seminars.
World Ozone Day is also celebrated around the world. Educators typically spend the day teaching their students the ozone layer and many schools hold special events and awareness activities. It is an event that everyone can live and enjoy together.
Why the ozone layer is important?
It is necessary that there is an ozone layer in the atmosphere. This ozone layer filters out dangerous ultraviolet rays from the sun and prevents them from reaching the earth’s surface. Ultraviolet light causes blindness and skin cancer in humans and reduces the yield of crops in agriculture. The ozone layer also stabilizes the oxygen cycle in the atmosphere.
However, many synthetic industrial gases come into contact with ozone and destroy it. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are the main causes of depletion of the ozone layer. These major ozone-depleting products are used as refrigerants and in aerosols. One molecule of CFC can destroy one million ozone molecules.
Similarly, human industrial activities produce less ozone. This ozone, to a lesser extent, in human habitats and crops is dangerous for human and plant life. The real concern is to stop these chemicals and get rid of CFCs.
What is the importance of Ozone Day?
Ozone is a gas in the atmosphere that protects everything that lives on the Earth from the harmful UV rays of the sun. Without the ozone layer in the atmosphere, it would be very difficult to survive at the surface. Plants cannot live and grow under powerful ultraviolet radiation, nor does plankton, which feeds most of the marine life. The ozone layer acts as a shield to absorb ultraviolet rays and prevent damage to the earth’s surface.
What is the current situation of the ozone layer level?
The Montreal Protocol has decided to ban CFCs and other chemicals that deplete the ozone layer. The United Nations Declaration on the International Day for the Preservation of Ozone and awareness programs has a positive impact. Although the production of CFCs and other impoverishing chemicals is banned, they are already in the atmosphere and their destruction will take longer.
The 2010 Montreal Protocol study report indicates that the global zone and polar ozone levels are not decreasing but are not increasing. UV levels of mid-latitudes have remained almost constant over the last decade. Other study designs done by scientists suggest that ozone levels could not return to pre-1980 levels. Although they believe the Antarctic layer will recover by 2050, in the tropics, at best, according to positive estimates, a century more could be needed. The hole in the ozone layer was about 29.9 million square kilometers on September 29, 2000, but the average hole in the ozone layer in 2010 was 22.2 million square kilometers.
How can we preserve our ozone layer?
Avoid buying and using aerosols spray containing chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).
Avoid using extinguishers containing halogenated hydrocarbons, a substance that is very aggressive for the ozone layer.
Avoid buying CFC insulation. Instead, you can use dark agglomerate cork that does not pollute the environment for the same purpose.
Keep the air conditioner clean as it releases CFCs into the atmosphere in case of malfunction.
Check the freezer and air conditioner of the car. If they fail, they must be repaired quickly because they can flee.
Purchase a refrigerator or air conditioning without CFC.
Some other measures that can be taken are:
Reduce the use of your car and other equipment such as compressors, lawnmowers, etc.
Use alternative means of transport: bus, bicycle or on foot.
Reduce the use of heating and cooling.
Buy energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs. They reduce pollution
The Theme of the World Ozone Day
The theme is that everyone should respect life, selflessly working to keep the environment and atmosphere clean, so that not only humans but also plants and animals can live a healthy life. Topics of previous years are:
The theme for the World Ozone Day 2019, to be marked on 16 September, is: “32 Years and Healing”
The theme of the year 2018 was “Keep cool and carry on: The Montreal Protocol”
The 2017 theme was “caring for all life under the sun”
The theme of the year 2016 was: “Ozone and Climate: Reunited by a World united”
The theme of the year 2015 was: “30 years: healing ozone together”
The theme of the year 2014 was: “Ozone Layer Protection – The Mission Goes on”
The theme of the year 2013 was: “Ozone Day – a healthy atmosphere, the future we want”
The theme of the year 2012 was: “Protecting our atmosphere for a generation to come”.
The theme of the year 2011 was: “HCFC phase-out: a unique opportunity”
The theme of 2010 was: “Ozone Layer Protection: Governance and Compliance at their Best”
The theme of the year 2009 was: “Universal participation: Ozone protection unites the world”
The theme for 2008 was “Montreal Protocol – Global Partnership for Global Benefits”.
The theme of 2007 was “celebrating 20 years of progress in 2007”.
The theme of 2006 was “Protect the ozone layer, save life on earth”
In this situation, serious efforts to protect and conserve the ozone layer cannot be stopped. The International Day for the Preservation of Ozone on 16 September is therefore of great importance.
51 Catchy World Ozone Day Slogans
1. Act as a whole to prevent the hole.
2. Ban pollution, ozone is precious.
3. Carbon Footprint: Bigger isn’t better.
4. Deal today with Ozone for a Better tomorrow.
5. Don’t let the future go up in smoke. SAVE THE OZONE.
6. Earth without ozone is like a house without roof.
7. Every ozone hole is a threat to our soul.
8. Get in the ZONE to save OZONE!
9. Go green, go genius.
10. If Earth is our Mother then Ozone is our Father.
11. Its threat to our zone when there’s a hole in ozone.
12. Keep Ozone from becoming the no zone.
13. Leave the ozone and it will let you live.
14. Life depletes when Ozone Depletes… So to save life save Ozone.
15. No zone like ozone.
16. Ozone – natures sunscreen.
17. Ozone – not just a layer but a protector.
18. Ozone Layer Destroyed = There is no clear Skies.
19. Ozone Layer Environmental Concern; Lands Loss and Soil Degradation.
20. Ozone layer holes are passing UV rays to us, let it stop.
21. Ozone Layer the UV Blocker.
22. Ozone Layer: A hole in one can ruin your day.
23. Ozone Nature’s Sunscreen.
24. Ozone now, Oxygen later.
25. Ozone or nozone… choice is yours.
26. Ozone today, Oxygen tomorrow.
27. Ozone, not just a layer but a protector.
28. Ozone, Ozone, Dont go away. We want you today.
29. Ozone-not just a layer but a protector.
30. Please spare the already depleted OZONE layer.
31. Preserve our Ozone layer.
32. Preserve Ozone layer, it protects us.
33. Prevent ozone from becoming a no entry zone.
34. Prevent skin cancer Protect the ozone layer!
35. Protect the ozone layer for it protects us.
36. Protect the ozone, its the best sunscreen.
37. Protect yourself, protect the ozone layer.
38. Reduce depletion of ozone, otherwise you will be in the Redzone.
39. Regulate gasses that harm Ozone layer.
40. Save nature, make future.
41. Save ozone layer else you may lie in no zone.
42. Save ozone, our planet’s safe zone.
43. Save Ozone; save Earth.
44. Save the layer, which is Up in the air.
45. Save the Ozone – natures sunscreen.
46. Save the ozone layer or give heat to your next generation.
47. Save the Ozone Layer the UV Blocker.
48. Stitch the Ozone Layer.
49. There is no zone when we pollute ozone.
50. Vote for controlling gases harmful to Ozone layer.
51. You dont have to be a mayor to help protect the ozone layer.