Cyber Disaster Planning:- All the sectors of critical infrastructure are connected to the Internet. So, any cyber attack launched via the Internet can cause disaster as all the sectors of critical infrastructure are connected via the Internet.
Disaster is an emergency situation; it includes cyber attacks, cyber terrorism, acts of information warfare and natural disasters. In the case of a disaster, it is the responsibility of the IT manager to return an organization to normal functioning.
It specifies the procedure of recovery action when a disaster occurs. It fixes roles and responsibilities on individuals to deal with the crisis situation.
It includes various measures such as:
- Alternative processing arrangements.
- Duplicate and offsite storage of data, hardware, and software.
- Choice of systems and applications, which should run, in any case.
Need of Cyber Disaster Planning
Disaster planning is essential in order to ensure that an organization can continue doing business even after a disaster. With the help of an effective disaster plan, operations and processes could be resumed quickly in case of a disaster.
It provides a systematic approach for responding to unexpected and unplanned incidents. Disaster planning is required to respond recover, protect and keep the businesses running in case of disaster.
Disaster planning is needed because of the following reasons:
- To minimize the impact of a cyber attack.
- To ensure continuity of services to customers.
- To protect the organization’s image, broad and reputation.
- To facilitate quick recovery.
- To reduce the downtime.
- To facilitate business survival
- To reduce data loss.
Following are the benefits or advantages of disaster planning:
- Forecasting: It involves forecasting and taking precautions prior to an imminent threat resulting in minimizing the effects of a disaster.
- Provide Response Measures: It involves mitigation and response measures to minimize disaster impacts.
- Provide Recovery Measures: IT includes recovery measures which help the community to return to their normal lives.
- Provide Sense of Ownership: It involves people and gives them a sense of ownership of the materials created or methods incorporated in education and public awareness.