Dictionary meaning of atrocity is: “An extremely cruel, violent or shocking act”. Terrorist atrocities are activities that involve inhumanity, barbarity or even extreme violence.
The fear generated by the realization that nearly any member of the target population could be a victim. Specific terrorist actions within terrorism campaigns, or aim at:
- Creating threats.
- Encouraging public support.
- Bringing publicity to a plight or cause.
- To attract the media for fulfilling their demands.
- Changing public perception of acceptable activities.
Causes of Terrorist Atrocities
There may be many possible causes of terrorist atrocities. People choose terrorism when:
- They are trying to right what they perceive to be a social or political or historical wrong.
- They have been stripped off their land or rights or denied these.
- They believe that violence or its threat will be effective to bring about a change.
Examples of Terrorist Atrocities
A. 1993 Bombay Bombings
It was a series of 12 bomb explosions that took place in Bombay on March 12, 1993. It was the first of its kind in serial bomb blasts across the world. This single day attack resulted in the
loss of 257 lives and 717 injuries.
B. 2003 Mumbai Bombings
On 25th August 2003, twin car bombings took place in Mumbai killing 54 people and injuring 244 people. One of the explosion took place at the Gateway of India and the other in Zaveri Bazar in central Mumbai.
C. 2006 Mumbai Train Blasts
On July 11, 2006, a series bomb blasts took place over a period of 11 minutes on the Sunderban Railway in Mumbai.
D. 2005 Delhi Serial Bomb Blast
On 29th October 2005, a serial bomb blast Masterminded by Lashkar-e-Taiba occurred in the National Capital, Delhi.
What do you mean by e-commerce?
What are the functions of e-commerce?