CASE Tools Stand for Computer Aided Software Engineering tools.
As the name implies they are computer-based programs to increase the productivity of analyst.
a. They permit effective communication with users as well as other members of the development team.
b. They integrate the development done during each phase of a system life cycle.
Available CASE Tools for System Analyst:-
- System requirements specification document tool.
- Data Flow diagramming tool.
- System flow chart generation tool.
- Data dictionary creator.
- E-R diagramming.
- Decision table checking.
- Formatting & checking Structured English process logic.
- Screen design for data inputting.
- Form design for output.
- Database normalization & dependency information.
Types of CASE Tools.
Upper CASE Tools:-
CASE tools designed to support the information planning & the project identification & selection, project initiation & the planning, analysis & design phases of the system development life cycle.
Lower CASE Tools:-
CASE tools designed to support the implementation & maintenance phases of the system development life cycle.
Cross-Life Cycle CASE:-
CASE tools designed to support activities that occur multiple phases of the system development life cycle.
Advantages CASE Tools
- Provide new systems with shorter development time.
- Improve the productivity of the systems development process.
- Improve the quality of the systems development process.
- Improve worker skills.
- Improve the portability of new systems.
- Improve the management of the systems development process.
Disadvantages CASE Tools
- The high cost of purchasing CASE.
- The high cost of training personnel.
- Low organization confidence in the IT department to deliver high-quality systems on time and within budget.
- Lack of methodology standards within the organization.
- Viewing CASE as a threat to job security.
- Lack of confidence in CASE products.